Tuesday 22 April 2014

Question 7- Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Insert Preliminary Task Video V Final Film Opening

When we compare the two, the main difference is the more complex storyline. Also the camera work has improved a lot since filming our preliminary task to filming the film opening scene. The preliminary task initially helped us understand what it took to create a piece, film it, and then edit it all in order to bring the whole piece together.  From this, I learnt a lot as it enabled me to understand what it was I needed to develop and improve on to ensure that my final opening scene was more advanced and looked professional.

  • Filming- When comparing my original preliminary task to my opening scene, I can see how I have considered shot types a lot more. This helps make it look professional and well thought out. In order to have included all these shots, planning and storyboarding everything was very important. Also all the research we did this time round into similar and existing films helped as I could build my knowledge which enabled me to produce the best piece possible in my opening scene, which I didn't know when filming my preliminary task. Also when filming, rather than just using the camera, we considered how using tripods and dollies would aid us to add to the professionalism of our piece by making the film quality look better. This is because when using just the handheld camera, like in our preliminary task, it looks very shaky and this in turn makes it look very amateur. In comparison to our final opening scene which we used a tripod to film the majority of films, along with a dolly to film the moving shots where we followed behind our actor. All of the subtle changes to the way we filmed our opening scene, in comparison to preliminary task made our final piece more visually appealing and generally better.

  • Planning- I also feel that I have learnt the importance of careful and thorough planning. This is because for our preliminary task, we did create a storyboard, script and shot list, however they were not detailed enough to properly aid us when filming as they should of been. This in turn made it harder for us to film our preliminary task quickly and efficiently. Based on this I new that I would need to make time for planning before shooting our opening scene. This is because it takes a long time to create detailed, helpful storyboards, shot lists and scripts. Therefore my biggest learning curb from creating preliminary to opening scene was to ensure planning was detailed and complete. If not, everything is made a lot harder because instead of looking at the storyboard and being able to see the next scene, shot type, shot length etc, you would have to know it, which isn't easy when also considering everything else you have to when filming a scene.

  • Reliable/Flexible Actors- Another crucial part of film making that I found was ensuring you have reliable actors. In our preliminary task we had real struggles ensuring our actors would turn up on certain days, at certain times. We found that when was suitable for us, and suitable for our storyboard based on location and other external problems we may have had due to certain places only being available for filming on at certain times, often the actor couldn't make it. This meant that it made our preliminary task a real rush, making it a lot more stressful than it needed to be. This left us the problem of having to then change actors for our preliminary task, meaning he has to learn the storyline and know his lines in minimal time in order to ensure we had our preliminary task completed on time. Therefore, in our final scene, we ensured we chose a reliable actor who we knew had a track record of being punctual and flexible. This made filming a lot easier as it meant we could say to him that we were going to film it on a certain day at a certain time and we could relax knowing we wouldn't be let down last minute. Therefore, from doing the preliminary I learnt that having reliable actors is very important and from learning this probably helped me avoid this situation again in the filming of the opening scene meaning it was a lot less stressful and more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment